Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Idea Post #1

Idea Post #1
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010

Typography

"No other design discipline requires so much learning and training and fontography and by no other aspect can amateurs be so easily distinguished from professionals. To be font literate, a designer has to study the history and the principles of font design."
- Dmitry Kirsanov

"Geometry can produce legible letter but art alone makes them beautiful. Art begins where geometry ends, and imparts to letters a character transcending mere measurement."
- Paul Standard


Typography is the study and the art of arranging text, type design, and type glyphs (individual marks on paper or written medium.) Typography is based on the precise selection of typefaces, point size, line length, leading (line spacing) and kerning (space between letters.) Originating in the first dies and punches used to make seals and currency, typography has become a true art form. Typography has been on my mind a lot lately, probably stemming from my love of fonts. I love the way the choice in font is not only a major design principle and key element in a piece, but how much this seemingly simple choice can completely alter the look and feel of something. I'm pretty sure my work for senior portfolio won't have anything to do with fonts and typography specifically, but I think my interest in typeface says a lot about the way I work. To me, text, type, fonts, and the arrangement of letters is an organized, precise, and particular system. Type is structured and neat, most of the time. It is unified and reliable. I feel like my work ethic and my system for creating art is similar to the way I feel about text. Or at least, that's what I strive for. I chose the word typography this week because I want to work in an orderly, scheduled, and structured fashion. I want my images to be clean, crisp, and precise. I want the message I send to be clear and effective, no matter what the message is.


For more information:
Meggs, Philip and Roy Mckelvey.
Revival of the Fittest. Washington: RC Publications, 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment