Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Idea Post #3

Idea Post #3
September 16, 2010

Communication


The dilemma I am currently facing with my work is proper communication. I have a solid concept and I feel like it is imperative for me to get the message out there in an effective way. As I consider the options for doing this, I am faced with various questions about the concept of communication?
How do I get the idea to travel?
How can I effectively portray my opinion and voice?
How do I achieve an open exchange of communication in my art?
Can I involve the audiences ideas with my own? Have the viewers communicate back to me?
How do you safely spread an idea in impoverished inner-city areas?
How do I allow the voice of others to enter your thought-process?
How do I get the voice of others to spread even further? To other viewers?


Book Reference:
Mckay, Matthew et.al. Messages: the Communication Skills Book. Oakland: New Harbinger Publications, 1995.

This book helps you learn how to spread a message. Not dealing with one type of communication over another, it covers the basics of communicating your thoughts person-to-person or in larger groups. Although I need to figure out how to communicate through a piece of art, this book deals with communication in almost every way possible: body language, therapist-to-client, negotiation, making contact, assertiveness, etc.

Quotes:
"Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution."
-Ansel Adams

"As communicators, artists should not just portray a subject. Their work should be a window to the thoughts and inner workings of their artist lives and minds."
-Elizabeth Azzolina

No comments:

Post a Comment