Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Idea Post #5

Idea Post #5
October 6, 2010


Chalk Art


Quotes:

"
"Once I realized you could make things go down, I realized you could make them appear to go up and I began experimenting." -Julian Beever

"My art is for anybody, it's for people who wouldn't go into an art gallery. It's art for the people. Art shouldn't be locked away in galleries and libraries and books. Art should be for everybody and not just art boffins, historians and so-called experts." -Julian Beever

Source for both: Loat, Sarah. "Pavment Picasso." BBC-Birmingham-Entertainment. BBC, Feb 2006. Web. 6 Oct 2010. .


Annotated Bibliography:

Beever, Julian. Pavment Chalk Artist: The Three-Dimensional Drawings of Julian Beever. Firefly Books, 2010. Print.
This book is hot off the presses; still only available for pre-ordering. Although I haven't seen it in person yet, obviously, I looked through the images online and they are just mind blowing. The work of this artist is shocking in the ability to transform a flat boring surface into an amazingly realistic and 3D piece of street art. The book is definitely worth looking into!


Relation:

Chalk art is a little outside of the realm of my work, but using the same medium. This week I focused on the use of chalk as a material in spreading a message for my project. That sparked my interest in chalk art for this week's idea post. Chalk art is fascinating and I love to look at it, but it doesn't actually relate to my work this week besides the medium used, and the fact that we are both trying to spread a message on sidewalks using this medium.


No comments:

Post a Comment