Monday, October 4, 2010

Julika Rudelius: Questions/Response

Artist Lecture
Questions to ask

Julika Rudelius

1) Most of your video work seems to be aimed towards the communication of a political message? Are their certain topics you find yourself dealing with more than others, or are you trying to cover as many pieces of the political spectrum as possible? In other words, are their certain political topics you feature that really touch you in a personal way, or is the aim of your political work more to create communication about a possibly controversial issue?

2) Many of your video pieces involve the participant's conversations being led or directed in some way by your questioning, that is then cut out of the video. Do you feel that this swaying of participant's opinion's is necessary? Is it always crucial to direct their conversations in this hidden way? Would the footage be as effective, or perhaps more effective, if the conversation was free to go in any direction? Or does this line of questioning provide a more desired outcome?



Artist Lecture Response


Most interesting quote:
  • "Working with the rich and powerful people became a sport. What fascinates me enormously about rich and powerful people is that they don't care at all what you think. They're kinda entertained. It's great for film, and it must be a great state to be in...completely oblivious... but it's really kinda weird." This quote was funny, sad, and true to me. The quote is very true about the piece and it was interesting to me how none of her subjects seemed to care about the satirical and somewhat offensive portrait she was painting of them.

Other interesting quotes:
  • "Am I allowed to show this stuff in America?"
  • "I found a checklist on how to know if someone's a psychopath. The interesting thing is that you need all the elements on the list to be successful in business, too. So I wanted to cast both millionaires and psychopaths, but it's really hard to cast psychopaths because you can't really detect them until they're screwing you."
  • "I don't know if they liked it or not... but nobody ever sued me..."
  • "No... they are my creations."
  • "I had them make Polaroids of themselves as a modern mirror, especially because I am fascinated with the fact that this extreme use of plastic surgery is probably because of all the photos that are taken of you."
  • "I had such a desire for truth especially in the political world, but I think it's kinda a lie itself when you say you have "truth" in you documentary. So I'd rather use a technique that deals with that. When you start messing with the devil, you have to know when to stop."

Three Words:

Deceptive, clever, and manipulative


Interesting Discoveries:

From the work I had looked at before the lecture, I was really confused. I could see the nature of her work as unveiling the truth in the subject's personality... but I could also read in the descriptions of her work that she was coaching them. I didn't understand how there was any believability or integrity in the work she was showing, if she was secretly telling the subjects what to say. After the lecture, it all made sense. I was fascinated after I heard her explain that these subjects were indeed "her creations" and that there was little truth to them at all. The words they spoke were their own, but were specifically guided and crafted by Julika to use the technique of "manipulated truth" and "false authenticity." The use of purposeful manipulation to create a half-truth is very interesting when use intentionally.


Answers:

My first question was kind of answered by watching a range of work. She told us what she was interested in and we watched work with enough different themes that I don't believe her work is more politically aimed towards one theme more than another. The second question was answered extensively and is explained in my above response.


Most compelling work:

I think for me the most interesting work was about the women in the Hamptons. All the work was so different and so powerful, they each have extremeley compelling elements to them. But I believe I enjoyed the Hampton Women the most because it was so unusual. The women acted to happy and full of themselves, but to me it was obvious they were unhappy. The aura in that video was so eerie and strange and overall entertaining to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment