Sunday, November 14, 2010

Artist Post #11

Artist Post #11
November 14, 2010

Natasha Duwin


Relation: The piece I want to feature of this artist is called "Shedding the Shadows." She uses discarded clothing from a homeless shelter to create sculpture. This piece is very relateable to what I would like to do. She uses clothing from a particular homeless shelter to create a woven sculpture of inter-connectivity to show that through hard work and introspection, beauty can be achieved. She takes the clothes, washes and cuts them, and has public "rope making" sessions before weaving the ropes. She also displays in a public space so the public is always involved in the process. All of this relates to my work: using the public, displaying in public, and speaking to a vital issue.


Bio: Duwin was raised in Buenos Aires and has lived in New York, Toyko, and Miami. She uses her work primarily to explore feminine concepts and uses feminine art forms (weaving, sewing, knitting) to reinforce this concept. Her current work focuses on birth, reproduction, portraits, and postcards.


Quotes:

"The materials that I use surround me, and call to me to be used--they are scraps of fabric and thread and vegetable dyes, as well as the words and snippets of conversation that engulf me as I navigate the world."

"Most of my work pulls the viewer in, to observe it as close as possible, with the ultimate aim of spiriting the viewer within it."

Source for both: "Miami Photo." Natasha Duwin. N.p., 23 May 2008. Web. 14 Nov 2010. .


Links:
Artist Website
Gallery Rep
Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment