Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Idea Post #9

Idea Post #9
Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sculpture-in-the-Round


"I really don't have a theme when I start a sculpture. The rock guides me to the final sculpture. I think that is true for many creative sculpture artists."
Jimmy Carl Black
Carl Black, Jimmy. Interview. Sculpture Quote. Web. 10 Nov 2010. .

"Painting and sculpture are very archaic forms. It's the only thing left in our industrial society where an individual alone can make something with not just his own hands, but brains, imagination, heart maybe."
Philip Guston
Guston, Philip. Interview. Sculpture Quote. Web. 10 Nov 2010. .

Marquand, Allan. A Text-Book of the History of Sculpture. Print. This book is pretty much exactly how it sounds. It is useful for anything related to the history of sculpture. It spends a great deal of the book discussing the true "sculpture-in-the-round" from greek and roman art times. This book walks you through all the important elements of sculpture.

I've recently been investigating sculpture-in-the-round because of my interest in rock paintings, rock art, and rock sculptures. I have also been looking into sculpture for some possible ideas for my chalk drawing photos. I am hoping that researching different kinds of sculpture in the round will help me get inspired for the next phase of my project. When suggesting formal product shot images to the class of proposed rock drawings, they encouraged me to rethink things. Now, I am more confused than ever and looking for inspiration in other places, such as sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment