Sunday, February 6, 2011

Artist Post #2

Artist Post #2
Spring Semester
Monday, Feburary 7th, 2011

Tamara Reynolds

 

Relation: I have been thinking a lot recently about how to photograph children to capture the youth and impressionable nature in their eyes and their expressions.  I found this photographer, Tamara Reynolds, and I love the quality of light and the atmosphere and mood created in her portraits of children.  The expressions they have and the youthful, innocent quality of their looks is fascinating, but I am most drawn to the expressions she captures that makes it seem like the children already have an important story to share.  I want to capture a similar expression and quality in my images of children to show the influence they receive from media and the people around them. 


Bio: The way Tamara Reynolds writes her bio on her website tells a lot about her personality. It is written playfully in sentence fragments detailing the important parts of her life.  Her bio quickly tells the viewers that she was a tomboy growing up and was always inspired by National Geographic photographs. While she attended Catholic school and was told to read and therefore was even more drawn to imagery since it was the opposite of text.  She went to college and received her BFA in photography and began assisting other photographers. She began a very successful career of her own and shoots portraits of people of all ages and editorial work.


Quotes talking about different pieces made about children:

"As an adult traveling with my companions I have spent productive hours deep in meaningful and honest conversations, worked out difficult issues, read inspirational books aloud, listened to educational radio shows and explored areas of the country lost to most in the world. As a child I was trapped. Car sickness, boredom. My imagination was honed in a car. And I became the good little traveler."

"To keep my head on straight and not get too deep in the muck of negativity I have to remind myself that I must shoot what I know, what intrigues me, what is my world. I have to stop chasing the world and be in it."

 Both quotes pulled from Reynolds' blog: 
http://tammypatrice.blogspot.com/


Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment