Sunday, February 27, 2011

Artist Post #5: Spring Semester

Artist Post #5: Spring Semester
February 28, 2011

Jim Goldberg

Quotes:
"The beginning of my published work, when I was very young, was a book called Rich and Poor. It's a book in which I photographed poor people versus wealthy people and they wrote on the photographs. Conceptually, it gave voice to people but it also challenged the notion of straight documentary photography."

"I certaintly consider myself working outside of photography alone because I write and collect archival images and try to combine photography and use the art making process to create a new form, or push the form of what photography is usually about."

Source for both, video interview: http://www.fototv.com/jim_goldberg

Bio:
Jim Goldberg recieved his BA in photography and education in 1975 and his MFA in photography in 1979.  Goldberg is inspired and informed by an ongoing interest in people and their positions in society as a function of broader cultural practices and policies. His work usually involves certain walks of life and ages groups per series and almost always involves some sort of writing component. His career, after his first solo show in 1979, has been very successful.  He began his career with exhibits in the Museum of Modern Art in New York and has been honored with three National Endowment for the Arts Fellowships and has work in a huge amount of public and private collections.

Relation
The biggest relation I see between my work and the work of Jim Goldberg is not nesecarily in subject matter, but more in his involvement of text. I am drawn to his work with younger subjects, naturally, because they relate more to my topic, but no matter the age of his models, I love the way he uses texts. Just like I do, he is involving the subjects in his images by getting them to participate in the project on another level.  He gets them involved, as I do, by having them write directly on the images to explain something about themselves or themselves in the images. I really enjoy his work.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment