Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Idea Post #4: Spring Semester

Idea Post #4: Spring Semester
Thursday, February 24th, 2011

Calligraphy
Somehow I started introducing writing into my drawings, and after a time, the language took over and I started getting very involved with the handwriting and then the look of the handwriting.
-Patti Smith

A man's penmanship is an unfailing index of his character, moral and mental, and a criterion by which to judge his peculiarities of taste and sentiments.
       -"Letters to His Son by the Earl of Chesterfield on the Fine Art of Becoming a Man of the World" 

Annotated Bibliography: Gaur, Albertine. A History of Calligraphy. New York: Cross River Press, 1995. It's hard to find a book about calligraphy that isn't just a lesson or a tutorial on lettering. This book shows techniques but also goes over the history of handwriting and the art of calligraphy.

Relation: Ever since I began adding the children's handwriting to my images, I have been obsessed with handwriting and lettering.  I am trying to figure out different ways to apply a child's natural handwriting to an image and I think I have just settled on some sort of paint pen and letting the child just write physically on the print. It scares me, but other options seem unauthentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment